Snetterton today is associated with the roar of the race track, but after meandering around smaller and smaller roads, we find yet another church which is distant from its village and sits in the green fields belonging to the World Horse Welfare. Its nearest building is the WHW office. Like at Rackheath, there is a feeling of isolation but at least the WHW keeps a watching eye on the church. After it was declared redundant, the church went into decline and suffered vandalism and decay until The Norfolk Churches Trust took it on in 1978.
The church itself is large and light. It dates from the 14th Century with the north aisle being added a century later. The chancel and inner doorways are from an even earlier church and there is a particularly good double piscina dated about 1280. There is also a very attractive screen which was broken with a sledge hammer to remove the organ when the church was made redundant. There is some discussion as to the date of the screen. The top part is 1852, but the dado could be much older.
The major repairs which have taken place in the last couple of years and are now complete, were only possible thanks to a £249,000 HLF GPOW grant.
The postcode for the church, which is open for visitors is NR16 2LR. If it is locked, the key can be obtained during office hours from the World Horse Welfare reception next door to the church, or from the keyholder on 01953 498682 or 07867 512084.
In March 2019 a “Hard Hat” day was held for people living locally and members of the Trust to see the repairs taking place, and the views of the surrounding countryside. You can read about it and see photos here.
These two guide books are available to buy. Please contact the Secretary to do so.