Snetterton, All Saints

Snetterton today is associated with the roar of the race track, but after meandering around smaller and smaller roads, we find yet another church which is distant from its village and sits in the green fields belonging to the World Horse Welfare. Its nearest building is the WHW office. Like at Rackheath, there is a feeling of isolation but at least the WHW keeps a watching eye on the church. After it was declared redundant, the church went into decline and suffered vandalism and decay until The Norfolk Churches Trust took it on in 1978

The church itself is large and light. It dates from the 14th Century with the north aisle being added a century later. The chancel and inner doorways are from an even earlier church and there is a particularly good double piscina dated about 1280. There is also a very attractive screen which was broken with a sledge hammer to remove the organ when the church was made redundant. There is some discussion as to the date of the screen. The top part is 1852, but the dado could be much older.

The major repairs which have taken place in the last couple of years and are now complete, were only possible thanks to a generous Lottery Fund grant.

The church is open for visitors.  If locked, the key can be obtained from the World Horse Welfare reception next door to the church, or from the keyholder, Geraint Ellis 07867 512084.


Find out more about this church on the Norfolk Churches website and the Norfolk Heritage Explorer.