Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust
Annual Conference 2024
Materials and Working Methods
Saturday 13th April 2024
The Lee Hall, Wolfson College, Cambridge CB3 9BB
1000 Welcome : His Honour Neil McKittrick, Chair of the Trust, a Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire.
1005 From tracing floor to finished structure – how medieval masons used geometry to create church buildings – Dr Alexandrina Buchanan FSA, Reader in Archive Studies at the University of Liverpool
1120 History of building stone use in south Cambridgeshire churches – Dr Nigel Woodcock, Emeritus Reader in the Earth Sciences Department at the University of Cambridge.
1210 Production and trade of the glass for medieval church windows – Professor Ian Freestone, Emeritus Professor of Archaeological Materials and Technology. Institute of Archaeology
1300 Finger buffet lunch, for those who have ordered
1400 The work of the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust The Revd Canon David Pritchard, Vice-Chair of the Trust
1425 Timber, its sources and its use in the construction of churches – Julian Munby FSA, former head of Buildings Archaeology at Oxford Archaeology.
1515 Closing remarks
His Honour Neil McKittrick is Chair of the Trust, a Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire and a former High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire and former circuit judge.
Dr Nigel Woodcock is an Emeritus Reader in the Earth Sciences Department at the University of Cambridge. His research has mostly involved field-based projects on the depositional and tectonic history of Palaeozoic rocks in Britain and Ireland. Since his retirement from teaching in 2019, he has developed his long-standing interest in the history of building stone usage, first in the buildings of the city of Cambridge and more recently in the medieval churches of south Cambridgeshire.
Professor Ian Freestone is Emeritus Professor of Archaeological Materials and Technology at the Institute of Archaeology at University College London. He has researched into early ceramics and archaeometallurgy and currently his main interest is in the chemistry and production of early glass, with current projects on Roman and post-Roman glass in Europe and the eastern Mediterranean. He trained as a petrologist/geochemist and spent 20 years working in the laboratories of the British Museum, where he gained enormous experience of archaeological artefacts and their technologies.
Dr Alexandrina Buchanan is an architectural historian, working specifically on the post-medieval reception, interpretation and use of medieval architecture. She is Reader in Archive Studies at the University of Liverpool and currently serves as President of the Archives and Records Association. She is a former member of the Council for the Care of Churches and of the Councils of the British Records Association, and the Association of Manuscripts and Archives in Research Collections, as well as being a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
The Revd Canon David Pritchard is Vice-Chair of the Trust and Chair of its Executive Committee, and was formerly Precentor, Vice-Dean and later Acting Dean of Ely.
Julian Munby is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, former head of Buildings Archaeology at Oxford Archaeology, and author or co-author of numerous publications and articles on related subjects. He is Diocesan Archaeological Advisor to the Oxford Diocese, and Chair of the Chichester Cathedral Fabric Advisory Committee.
Wolfson College is located just within the south-western city limits of Cambridge, on the left of Barton Road A603, approaching Cambridge from M11 Junction 12. A map and directions can be found at www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/directions. Cambridge railway station is some distance away and delegates arriving by rail are advised to hire taxis. There is parking in some nearby streets. If you have limited mobility, please indicate, as we have a very small supply of permits to park within the College. Otherwise, passengers can be dropped off at the front of the College and the driver can look for parking on street.
Because of building works our usual Conference setting, the Lee Hall, is not available. On this occasion the conference sessions will take place in the Dining Hall, on the first floor above the main entrance and Porter’s Lodge, accessible by stairs and by lift. Similar audio-visual facilities will be available as hitherto.
Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust
Registered as a Charity in England and Wales No 287486
The care of places of worship falls squarely on the local community and especially its active members. They carry the burden of continuous maintenance and the raising of huge funds for repair. The Trust, founded in 1983, helps them with grants and loans and advice. We also offer funding towards improvements that enable the building to be more widely used in the 21st century, to projects that provide toilets and serveries, better heating and modern wiring. We also award small grants towards the repair and conservation of memorials and monuments, including those in churchyards. Since its foundation the Trust has offered over £3,000,000 in interest free loans and over £1,000,000 in grants for works of repair and improvement. We continue to give priority to making loans (currently up to a maximum of £20,000), as these help congregations to embark on a project with the confidence that they can manage the cash flow – and once work starts, donations often increase.
Alongside this main business we organise events which encourage everyone to enjoy and to understand the art and architecture of the county’s churches and chapels. We hold an annual conference such as the present one, and we run church tours in the summer months.
So if you aren’t already a member, why not join (minimum subscription £20, visit www.camhct.uk ), so that your subscription can help us help church congregations throughout the county?
For more information visit www.camhct.uk
or contact our Membership Secretary Sue Holgate at 9 The Chase, Ely, Cambridgeshire CB6 3DR
01353 668438 email@example.com
To book a place please download this flyer which has information on the different methods of booking a place.